The Clarence

Built in 1852, The Clarence had last been refurbished during the late thirties in the Arts & Crafts style originating from when the hotel was first built.

By the seventies, while still retaining a sense of Old World charm and dignity, it was past its prime. At the same time, the ranks of the original clientele, once drawn primarily from the clergy, judiciary and visitors from the provinces, were swelled by the artists, musicians, writers and designers who began to make the Temple Bar area their own.

Among the regulars were two members of the rock group U2, Bono & The Edge, whose fond recollections of their youthful haunt led them to assemble a consortium of Irish investors and purchased the hotel in 1992 with a view to restoring it to its former glory of this Dublin City hotel.

To realise their vision, the owners assembled a team of professionals from both Ireland and abroad. The result of their collaboration, guided by the owners' directive that the design respect the country's quintessential Irish heritage and character.

A hotel like The Clarence is inevitably a personal vision, and for the owners, The Clarence is where they would choose to stay when visiting Dublin - a hotel that is at once simple but elegant, unpretentious but luxurious, that is modern but also embodies the best of traditional Irish hospitality.

 

For all press enquiries please contact Aileen Galvin

 

6 Glendenning House, Wicklow Street, Dublin 2

T)+ 353 87 8595063 / E) aileen@pressup.ie